Background and Objectives Response to pre-transplant salvage chemotherapy remains the most important prognostic factor for outcome in refractory or relapsed Hodgkin's lymphoma. Results of a new induction regimen are reported in terms of response rates, toxicity, and stem cell mobilization. Design and Methods Ninety-one patients with refractory or relapsed Hodgkin's lymphoma were treated prospectively with a salvage regimen consisting of ifosfamide 2000 mg/m(2) on days 1 to 4, gemcitabine 800 mg/m(2) on days 1 and 4, vinorelbine 20 mg/m(2) on day 1, and prednisolone 100 mg on days 1 to 4 (IGEV). Results Forty-nine patients (53.8%) achieved a complete remission and 25 (27.5%) a partial response for an overall response rate of 81.3%. In the multivariate analysis response to the last chemotherapy (p < 0.0001) and involvement of 3 sites (p < 0.049) were the most important prognostic factors for response. Adequate CD34(+) cell collection was achieved in 78 out of 79 (98.7%) mobilized patients. So far, no treatment-related death has been documented. Thirteen (4.2%) and 27 (8.6%) out of 313 evaluated cycles had to be delayed or reduced, respectively, mainly because of neutropenia and thrombocytopenia. No grade 4 non-hematologic toxicity was observed, except for one episode of mucositis. Interpretation and Conclusions The high response rate, in particular the complete remission rate, the low toxicity profile, and the very high mobilizing potential of the IGEV regimen strongly suggest that patients with relapsed/refractory Hodgkin's lymphoma may benefit from the use of this salvage induction regimen.
|Titolo:||Ifosfamide, gemcitabine, and vinorelbine: a now induction regimen for refractory and relapsed Hodgkin's lymphoma|
|Data di pubblicazione:||2007|
|Appare nelle tipologie:||1.1 Articolo in rivista|