Background Angiogenesis has an important role in thymic epithelial tumors (TETs). Regorafenib inhibits vascular endothelial growth factor receptors (VEGFRs), platelet-derived growth factor receptor beta (PDGFR-beta), and fibroblast growth factor receptors (FGFRs). This study explored the activity of regorafenib as monotherapy in patients with advanced or recurrent B2-B3 thymoma (T) and thymic carcinoma (TC) previously treated with platinum-containing chemotherapy. Methods A Fleming single-arm, single-stage, phase 2 trial to evaluate the activity of regorafenib (160 mg once a day by mouth for 3 weeks on/1 week off) was planned. The study was designed to reject the null hypothesis of an 8-week progression-free survival (PFS) rate <= 25% with a type I error of 0.10 and a statistical power of 80% at the alternative hypothesis of an 8-week PFS rate of >= 50% (>= 8 of 19 evaluable patients progression-free at 2 months). Results From June 2016 to November 2017, 19 patients were enrolled (11T/8TC). We observed partial response (PR) in 1 patient (1T) (5.3%), stable disease (SD) in 14 patients (9T/5TC) (73.7%), and progressive disease in 2 patients (1T/1TC) (10.5%), with a disease control rate of 78.9%. According to Choi-criteria, 13 patients (68.4%) achieved PR, and 2 patients SD (10.5%). The median PFS was 9.6 months whereas median overall survival was 33.8 months. The 8-week PFS rate was 78.9% (15 of 19 patients). Grade 3-4 treatment-related adverse events were observed in 10 patients (52.6%). Conclusions The primary end point of this study was reached. The high rate of PR (Choi-criteria) suggests antitumor activity of regorafenib in TETs. On the basis of survival outcomes, the efficacy of regorafenib should be further evaluated in larger studies.

Resound Trial: A phase 2 study of regorafenib in patients with thymoma (type B2-B3) and thymic carcinoma previously treated with chemotherapy

Santoro, Armando;Zucali, Paolo Andrea
2022-01-01

Abstract

Background Angiogenesis has an important role in thymic epithelial tumors (TETs). Regorafenib inhibits vascular endothelial growth factor receptors (VEGFRs), platelet-derived growth factor receptor beta (PDGFR-beta), and fibroblast growth factor receptors (FGFRs). This study explored the activity of regorafenib as monotherapy in patients with advanced or recurrent B2-B3 thymoma (T) and thymic carcinoma (TC) previously treated with platinum-containing chemotherapy. Methods A Fleming single-arm, single-stage, phase 2 trial to evaluate the activity of regorafenib (160 mg once a day by mouth for 3 weeks on/1 week off) was planned. The study was designed to reject the null hypothesis of an 8-week progression-free survival (PFS) rate <= 25% with a type I error of 0.10 and a statistical power of 80% at the alternative hypothesis of an 8-week PFS rate of >= 50% (>= 8 of 19 evaluable patients progression-free at 2 months). Results From June 2016 to November 2017, 19 patients were enrolled (11T/8TC). We observed partial response (PR) in 1 patient (1T) (5.3%), stable disease (SD) in 14 patients (9T/5TC) (73.7%), and progressive disease in 2 patients (1T/1TC) (10.5%), with a disease control rate of 78.9%. According to Choi-criteria, 13 patients (68.4%) achieved PR, and 2 patients SD (10.5%). The median PFS was 9.6 months whereas median overall survival was 33.8 months. The 8-week PFS rate was 78.9% (15 of 19 patients). Grade 3-4 treatment-related adverse events were observed in 10 patients (52.6%). Conclusions The primary end point of this study was reached. The high rate of PR (Choi-criteria) suggests antitumor activity of regorafenib in TETs. On the basis of survival outcomes, the efficacy of regorafenib should be further evaluated in larger studies.
activity
phase 2 trial
regorafenib
thymic epithelial tumors
toxicity profile
File in questo prodotto:
Non ci sono file associati a questo prodotto.

I documenti in IRIS sono protetti da copyright e tutti i diritti sono riservati, salvo diversa indicazione.

Utilizza questo identificativo per citare o creare un link a questo documento: https://hdl.handle.net/11699/63341
Citazioni
  • ???jsp.display-item.citation.pmc??? ND
  • Scopus 3
  • ???jsp.display-item.citation.isi??? 2
social impact